Blessed Sacrament Parish of Rouyn-Noranda
Weekly Celebrations :
Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 4:00 p.m. - Liturgy of the Word
Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 4:00 p.m. - Mass
Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 4:00 p.m. - Liturgy of the Word
Saturday, December 23, 2023 at 4:00 p.m. - Mass preceded by Individual Confessions beginning at 3:30 p.m.
Sunday, December 24, 2023 at 6:30 p.m. - Christmas Mass
Saturday, December 30, 2023 at 4:00 p.m. - Liturgy of the Word
New Year's Mass (Solemnity of Holy Mary, Mother of God) : Monday, January 1 2024 at 1:00 p.m.
Click on the image for the Pastoral Prayer
Blessed Sacrament Parish was founded in 1946. The parish is part of the Unité pastorale missionnaire Sainte-Thérèse-de-Lisieux. It is the only anglophone parish in the Diocese of Rouyn-Noranda, and it regroups 300 parishioners. See below for A brief history of Blessed Sacrament Parish
Address and telephone
12 10th Street
Rouyn-Noranda QC J9X 2C4
Rouyn-Noranda QC J9X 2C4
Telephone : 819-762-3126
Parish administrator : Rev. Jean Élithère Luxama 819-279-9609
Secretaries : Ms Sharleen Sullivan 819-764-0216
Ms Elsie Sulliven 819-762-3286
President : Rev. Jean Élithère Luxama 819-279-9609
A brief history of Blessed Sacrament Parish
Prior to the creation of Blessed Sacrament Parish, the English-speaking Catholic population of Rouyn and Noranda was affiliated with Notre-Dame-de-Protection Parish, which was then a bilingual parish (created in 1929). As of 1934, the ethnicity of Notre-Dame was made up of 981 Francophones, 546 Anglophones, 17 Poles, 28 Italians and 22 parishioners of other ethnic backgrounds.
Blessed Sacrament Parish was formally created on October 7, 1946, for the English-speaking population of the cities of Rouyn and Noranda. The Canonical erection was decreed by the bishop of the Diocese of Timmins, Mgr Louis Rhéaume, on July 8, 1947. The original parishioners of Blessed Sacrament came from 201 families, English-speaking for the most part. The first parish priest was Father Thomas J. McManus (1946), followed by Father John A. Caufield who served from 1947 through 1977, the year of his retirement.
The former Moose Hall – on 9th Street – served as a temporary place of worship until an ideal location was found and the new parish acquired sufficient financial means to build a church. Thirteen years would pass before favourable conditions were met (1946 to 1959), and construction of the current buildings (church and rectory) was completed in 1959, according to the plans of architect Auguste Martineau. A Sunday Mass celebrated on June 14, 1959 was the occasion of the official inauguration of the new church.
The building site chosen in 1959 was a triangular lot located behind the Youville Hospital and across the street from the Catholic High School already in use by the English-speaking community. Though the lot is irregular and relatively small, it has the advantage of being in a central location, on the border of the city boundaries of Rouyn and Noranda (then separate municipalities), adjacent to the main civil, social and community institutions of the downtown areas of both cities.
Blessed Sacrament is the only parish of the diocese of Rouyn-Noranda that regroups the faithful according to their cultural affiliation (in this case, the use of the English language), regardless of their place of residence. The territory of Blessed Sacrament Parish thus extends to the entire territory of the city of Rouyn-Noranda, and welcomes, of course, visiting parishioners from other localities.